Prince Albert and Nicole Coste share an 18-year-old son. Carlos Alvarez/Getty Images, Daniele Venturelli/Daniele Venturelli/ Getty Images Getty Images for Fondation Prince Albert II
Prince Albert said he was “furious” at his ex-partner for her comments about Princess Charlene.
Nicole Coste, Albert’s eldest son’s mother, said Charlene once moved her son to the employee wing.
Coste said the incident took place before Albert and Charlene’s wedding and left her “shocked.”
Prince Albert of Monaco told the French magazine Point de Vue on Thursday he was “furious” after Nicole Coste, the mother of his eldest son, Alexandre, said his now-wife, Princess Charlene, moved Alexandre into their home’s employee wing before Albert and Charlene’s royal wedding in 2011.
Coste, who met Albert while working as a flight attendant in 1997, gave birth to Alexandre in 2003, according to the BBC.
Alexandre, now 18, was formally recognized in 2005 after the French publication Paris Match published photos of him in Albert’s arms. The prince put out a statement via his lawyer saying he “has and will continue to face up to his responsibilities” of being the boy’s father, The New York Times reported at the time.
Albert and Coste in 2002. Michel Dufour/WireImage
In an interview she gave to Paris Match in September, Coste said her relationship with Albert had been “built on trust” and that he honored his commitment to “be present” from the start of Alexandre’s life, gradually bringing him into his family.
Charlene’s ear, nose, and throat infection has kept her from returning to Monaco from her home country of South Africa since May, which caused speculation about the state of her and Albert’s relationship. Albert denied in September any rumors of a rift in an interview with People magazine, later telling the publication how he and their children looked forward to her return.
“Obviously, she misses the children,” he said. “And they miss her. We all miss her.”
Asked about her relationship with the princess, Coste said in their situation “diplomacy had to prevail,” adding that she experienced moments during the engagement period before Charlene and Albert’s 2011 wedding that shocked her. Coste said one such experience related to her son Alexandre, who was about 8 years old at the time.
“She changed my son’s room, taking advantage of his father’s absence to put him in the employee wing,” Coste said. “As a mother, I cannot find words to describe these actions.”
Insider could not reach Coste for comment. Representatives for Albert and Charlene did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.
Coste, pictured with her son Alexandre, said “diplomacy” had to prevail in her relationship with Princess Charlene, left. Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images, Foc Kan/FilmMagic
“It was inappropriate. I was furious to discover that,” Albert told Point de Vue on Thursday regarding Coste’s comments, adding that he was not made aware of what she was going to say in her interview.
“I obviously did not know what she was going to publish,” he said. “She had just informed me that she was going to release something. I thought it would just be a birthday photo.”
Elsewhere in her interview, Coste, who left her work in aviation 19 years ago to pursue a career as a fashion designer, said she disliked how often she and Charlene were compared.
“It is a subject that I cannot avoid because we are often put in parallel. I don’t like being compared,” she said. “I never displayed myself as an enemy. I am a gentle woman. Given our respective ties to the prince, we should have made sure to support each other cordially.”
Read the original article on Insider